This tutorial walks you through creating an advanced analytical service. We will be creating a stock quoting service initially and then we will be adding features as we go to explore more complex and useful concepts of grid services. After we create the simple service capable of generating stock quotes we will make a stateful service which will be able to manage stock portfolios. Once we have the ability to manage portfolios we will then add security enabling us to protect access or modification of our portfolios.
Please peruse the tutorial presentation that accompanies this tutorial. This presentation provides background information that will be useful to understand the steps in the tutorial.
If you are not familiar with Grid service contexts, please also peruse the service contexts documentation.
Install caGrid and deploy a Non-Secure Tomcat Container (Phases 1-5)
These first 5 tutorials are intended to help you learn about Introduce. It requires the caGrid software and a non-secure container. Please install caGrid and Configure a Non-Secure Container Using the caGrid 1.3 Installer.
|It is important that you choose a hostname of localhost or 127.0.0.1 when installing your container. The container hostname will be used for enumeration in this tutorial.|
Download the Introduce Tutorial Tools
Before you begin you will want to download the tutorial tools zip file http://software.cagrid.org/introduce/introduce-1.3-tutorial-tools.zip and extract to somewhere you can copy files from as needed.
|For those who wish to deploy and test the completed service, we have provided a zipped service for your convenience. This service is configured to not register with the Grid and does not contain service metadata.|
To deploy the service:
- Deploy a Tomcat or JBoss Container using the caGrid Installer
- Deploy the caGrid Transfer service to a container: Deploy Transfer.
- Download the completed StockManager service
- Extract the service to your computer
- Open a terminal and change directory to the StockManager directory
- Run the appropriate Ant command to deploy your service
- Phase 1- Create the Stock Quote Grid Service
- Phase 2- Add Resources to Manage Stock Portfolios
- Phase 3- Configure the Resources for Lifetime Management
- Phase 4- Making the resources persistent
- Phase 5- Making the resources send notifications
- Phase 6- Using Transfer to Upload Symbols to a Persisted Resource
- Phase 7 - Securing the service and its resources